<body> YOU: On My Blog <body>
Monday, April 21, 2008

A week since I landed in NYC, and still, I cannot get my body clock right. This has lead to a lot of 4 a.m. wakings and 6 hour afternoon "naps." Friday evening Sam came home from work and begged for me to let him "just rest my eyes for a little bit." That was at 8 p.m. We ended up waking up at 12:30 a.m. Naturally, what does one do when they wake up a half hour past midnight? The smart answer is go back to sleep. Instead we went to our favorite local diner.

Now, by day this diner is friendly and lively. Everyone's nice and cheerful, and the staff always remembers what you usually order and asks about how things are going. But at night time, it morphs into a theater of broken dreams.

As I was eavesdropping on the booth next to us (the woman was trying to explain to her perfectly American boyfriend what an avocado was...prompting her to say "that's why you gotta eat more than chicken nuggets, baby") I was interrupted by a frantic man trying to get money out of one of the waiters who just so happened to look just like Mira Sorvino's dad.


It entailed a lot of colorful language. And finally Sorvino relented and gave the man the precious $40 after calling him "a piece of shit motherfucker." The man responded with a "yeah, fuck you,too... I'll pay you back tomorrow when my mom pays me."

Sorvino finally rid of that albatross around his neck resumes his conversation with his co-workers, saying, "I'm just saying I don't find Greeks very attractive."

As I was left wondering if that was meant to be ironic or self-deprecating or self-loathing or just bigoted, I heard him talk about the massive security details and road blockages from the Pope's visit. "I don't get it...I mean, who doesn't like the Pope?"

Me.


Make your own by changing the URL!

Labels: , , , , ,

Email AddThis Social Bookmark Button 4 comments



Linkage

Apiary
The Assimilated Negro
Copyranter
CrunkandDisorderly
CuteOverload
D-Listed
FourFour
DeadFrog
Hysterical Festival
Jen Kirkman
lolcat bible project
lolsecretz
O Hell Nawl
OhNoTheyDidnt
Maria Bamford
Men Who Look Like
Old Lesbians

Not Hating, Just Saying
Stuff White People Like
Unfit Toys

Credits

1 2 3 4